Friday, March 20, 2009

More Morning Music

People are always (never) saying to me, "Hey Jaybee, thanks for those suggestions for morning music you gave last year. You've given me a reason to get out of bed! (The story of my life.) Ya got any more?"

How can I refuse?

What follows are several more records that can get you through those critical morning hours between say 6 and 9am on a Saturday or Sunday morning when you're asking yourself what the hell am I doing up this early? Don't worry, you're just turning into one of those old geezers who prowls the neighborhood in search of empty soda cans. (By the way, there is a "weeding the garden" ensemble – short-shorts, tucked in dress shirt, dress shoes and knee high white socks - in your future.) Before you get to that point, let me help you delude yourself into thinking you're still young and vital.


Frank Sinatra: In the Wee Small Hours-

As a committed Frankie skeptic, I held out quite a long time before getting this CD. And for once, I can take him. Here is Frankie the wuss. What a relief! For my money, it beats the hell out of Frankie the obnoxious tough guy who rock and roll damned near made obsolete. Yeah, you heard me. I strongly recommend it, but only for when you're feeling strong enough for the both you. Frankie's having a rough time of it.

Mississippi John Hurt: Rediscovered

If you like acoustic Hot Tuna, you will probably enjoy this. His voice is gentler than Jorma's and his guitar playing is just as good.
Now playing: Mississippi John Hurt - Candy Man
via FoxyTunes

Neil Young: Harvest Moon

I find this record somewhat over-rated, but it will appease the spouse. And hidden at the end of it is the haunting, ten minute "Natural Beauty".


Nick Drake "Pink Moon":

There isn't as much orchestration on this record as there was on his first one. Its starkness is probably due to the fact that Nick was to commit suicide not long after this. And yet, the music itself is not despairing. He's just going gently into that good night.
Now playing: Nick Drake - Pink Moon
via FoxyTunes

Bob Dylan: Time Out of Mind

Some people might place this on their Middle of the Night Music list, but I like it early in the morning. It speaks of hurt, regret and pain. Perfect for your depression. What better way to start the day?


Scott Joplin: Complete Rags

It might seem a bit jaunty for first thing in the morning, but in fact, it's very nearly perfect for it. Ok, maybe 9am instead of 7.

Now playing: Scott Joplin - The Easy Winners
via FoxyTunes

Thelonius Monk: Solo Monk

A more modern version of the above.


Django Rheinhardt: Djangology

At times you might think your listening to the soundtrack to the Little Rascals, but no, the guitar is too intricate, the violin too melodic, and the piano is giving them both a run for their money. From France, of all places.

Now playing: Django Reinhardt - I Saw Stars

Okay, now that I've got you this far, you're on your own. I can handle middle of the night and early morning, but haven't got the slightest idea what to do about daytime.


But I'm working on it.

No comments: