Saturday, May 25, 2019

James and the Giant Bag of CDs

I’m Gonna Say About...1973?:

“You have to get Rock and Roll by Foghat,” said childhood friend Tony. “You’ll love it!”

For some reason, I wasn’t convinced. Tony was sixteen at the time, which would make me about fifteen. A music snob (snot?) even then, I passed. I didn’t say that to him, of course. I nodded, smiled and said something along the lines of Oh yes, I’ll have to do that.

And I don’t have the slightest inclination to check it out. Sorry, Tony! It’s not you, it’s me. Well, actually it is you because you recommended a record I believed then - and believe still - will be awful. (So I guess it is me, after all.)


1983:

Human Sexual Response is pretty good. You should check it out.”

Friend Mike was in town for a visit, and since my idea of a good time is going to the record store, we ended up at J&R Music World.

I was looking for Human Switchboard’s first record and were in the H section when he showed me the HSR album.

Mike was speaking in his usual laid back - almost indifferent - tone, which undercut any enthusiasm he seemed to have for the record (mine, too). I somehow wormed my way out of it.


1990:

“You have to check out Be Bop Deluxe,” the moving guy said. (I only remember the year because we were moving into our house.)

No, I don’t. When I see phrases like “art rock” and “progressive rock” I fear I’m going to get a lot of technique and not enough joy. That worked when I was fifteen, but I doubt it still will.

I did come close, though.  And I still might, but it’s been nearly thirty years.


Your Music Sucks:

These are just a few of the many incidents over the years of my not taking the musical advice of others. I'm afraid I have profoundly different tastes than the suggester.

Tony was convinced Foghat was undeniably great. This is a variant of the "We've got both types of music here, Country AND Western" syndrome.

Moving man was a BBD enthusiast, and definitely older than Tony, but older folks do form their own  “enthusiasms”, don't they? Like Ted Kaczinsky. And if you partake in someone else's enthusiasm, you’re almost obligated to sign up for the cult.

Mike was just being laid back Mike. When Mike gets enthusiastic I sit up in listen, but it wasn’t that day.

So in these and most other cases, I managed what the young people call a “soft pass”.

However, a hard pass may not have been a bad idea. One opportunity for growth that not enough people experience is to have someone tell them that the music they like is terrible. It’s happened to me many times and has taken many forms.

My parents hating the Beatles.

My Led Zeppelin fans telling me how much the Grateful Dead sucked.

Robert Christgau sh*tting on Jackson Browne and the Allman Brothers.

Before Born to Run came out, more than one person told me they hated “that Jew” Bruce Springsteen. (Clearly, the critique quality varied greatly.)

I’m not saying they were wrong and I was right. I’m saying we were both right. (Well, not the anti-Semites. They were wrong on every possible level.)

So I’m not big on people’s suggestions.

And it’s only gotten worse as I get older because I’m painfully aware that I DONT HAVE ALL THE TIME IN THE WORLD - on a given day (no hanging around with friends in the middle of the day like a normal fifteen-year-old) or in my lifespan (I'm sixty-two for god sake.)


James:

So along comes Son Michael’s friend James, who I’ve connected with on a couple of levels, music being just one. He burned a CD for Mike once, and because of the time frame it covered (1969-1980) I liked it at least as much as Michael, who was, to his credit, pretty enthusiastic about it.

It gets better.

For Christmas, James gets me and Mrs. Jaybe four vinyl albums! I haven’t bought vinyl in nearly thirty years.

And now he’s lent me a big bag o’ CDs. Good ones, too. There’s got to be thirty or forty in there.

So somehow I’ve got to give these CDs their due. But how am I gonna do that with my World History ProjectDecade Project and 2019 piling up in front of me?


But Let Me Digress:

So before I dive into the bag, I should report on a few records I have gotten a chance to listen to.

The year got off in two unexpected directions, one being hip hop, a genre I suspect I’ll never love, but I at least I got reassurance that I can really like it


Pusha T: Daytona (2018)

There’s no getting around it. This is a rap record. And a real good one. The key, for me, is that there has to be music to go with the rapping. Or the music has to be in the rapping. This one is the former.

But the rapping is good, too. The subject matter isn’t family friendly - he’s not going to win any humanitarian awards - but he seems genuine.

A-

“Hard Piano”





Noname: Room 25 (2018)

Here’s another one, this time with a female point of view.  The music is more (warning, annoying musical description word ahead) sinuous and subtle.

Jazzy, smooth and easy on the ear, which brings you back to it again and again. But once you start to really hear the words you have to confront the pain

A-

“Self”


And it's suddenly possible to love hip hop!

Then there are a couple of more female artists - one disappointing (slightly) and one definitely not.



Mitski: Be the Cowboy (2018)

Mrs. Jaybee liked this one right off the bat. And I thought it was an improvement, too, over her last record, which I liked but didn’t love.

But that stentorian voice that, at first, pulls you in also keeps you from really loving it.

B+

But, I've got to admit this video really pulls me in!

“Geyser”



Janelle Monae - Dirty Computer (2018)

I’ve had my eye on this young woman for a while (okay, that sounded really bad, but you know what I mean, right? In case the police come?)

The first spin is all surface and enjoyable enough, but now after at least a dozen listens I hear an artist with some vision, and talent to burn.

Good songwriting. Kind of Prince-y.  But I like her voice more. And a little sci-fi for good measure.

And while I still prefer Kacey Musgraves, this one gives her a run for the money.

A-

“Crazy Classic Life”


So at some point, I'll report on the actual contents of James' Bag of CDs.

Just one last question. What do normal people do with their time?


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful website you have here but I was curious about if you knew of any forums
that cover the same topics talked about in this article? I'd really
love to be a part of group where I can get opinions from other knowledgeable people that
share the same interest. If you have any suggestions,
please let me know. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

You have made some good points there. I looked on the net to find out more about
the issue and found most people will go along with your views on this website.

Anonymous said...

seguro viagem não é um seguro saúde.