Saturday, December 21, 2019

Decade: More Fun in the Old World

Last time out I gave you some lame post about the decade in genres. It was really just my way of putting off compiling my Actual Best of the Decade List(s).

Well, I’m doing it again. I will persist in my procrastination by now providing you with a couple of lists that almost by definition are about music from prior decades, but the point is that they happened to me in this decade.


Best Throwbacks:

These are albums I’m somewhat familiar with but never got around to actually owning until now. I don’t like judging them against records that I’m hearing for the first time because, on the one hand, they’re somewhat better for having been around this long. But, weirdly, they sometimes contain filler - the parts you didn’t hear on the radio, and the good parts are a bit played out - and that makes them mortal. I don’t want to overreact to those flaws.

Because of these ad/disadvantages, I’d rather just judge them now by how much fun they provided me this time around:
  1. Rolling Stones - Singles Collection  This could easily have ended up on top of the list below, but I’m familiar with so much of it already, that wouldn’t have been fair. This is great for long car trips.
  2. Joni Mitchell: Court And Spark  (1974) A fantastic album. The songs I hadn’t gotten into before are almost all great.
  3. The Who - Live at Leeds (Expanded Edition)  This expanded edition gives a fuller picture of the Who than the original. They were a POP band, people!
  4. Harry Nilsson: Nilsson Schmilsson (1971) Harry comes through big time on his less well-known songs.
  5. The Kinks: Lola  (1970) Ray does, too. And Dave.
  6. The Monkees: The Best of  What can I say? Of course the version in my head is better, but so is yours.
  7. Brian Eno: Taking Tiger Mountain (By Strategy) (1974)  The sound on the CD isn’t much better than the original vinyl but that’s okay. Time may have finally caught up to this deeply weird record.  ðŸŒ¶ðŸŒ¶ 
  8. Tom Verlaine: Tom Verlaine (1979)  It’s not Television but it’s very good.
  9. Jefferson Airplane: The Worst of  I really needed to hear this, even after having chipped away at it with Volunteers and Baxters. A very consistent record from a very good, but I’m not convinced, great band.
  10. And tied for 10th: 

Compilations:

  1. Belle and Sebastian: Push Barman to Open Old Wounds So fragile, so beautiful.
  2. Robyn Hitchcock and the Egyptians: Greatest Hits The album that proves this alleged weirdo should have been an FM staple.
  3. The Chills: Kaleidoscope World  Ah, if only the internet was around then, these super melodic, chiming songs would have gone viral. 
  4. James Brown: Star Time This is daunting for an old white guy but worth the effort. If you think it all sounds the same why do you like the Ramones?? 
  5. Brian Jonestown Massacre: Tepid Peppermint Wonderland  If you can forget what a narcissistic junkie asshole the guy leads the band is you can really enjoy this late sixties-style psychedelic rock 'n roll.
  6. Various Artists: Ocean of Sound Yeah, weird as hell. I love it but know what you’re getting into!  ðŸŒ¶ðŸŒ¶ðŸŒ¶ 
  7. Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds: Lovely Creatures Another purported British weirdo who does some pretty straightforward, passionate rock 'n roll.
  8. Leonard Cohen: Essential   A lot to take in one sitting but great for studying.
  9. Various Artists: American Epic  Basically another version of An Anthology of American Folk Music, but with better liner notes and sound.
  10. And tied for 10th: 
Okay, so much for genres, compilations and throwbacks. Next time it gets real(er).

No comments: