Sunday, March 1, 2020

To Infinity and Beyonce

Decade Catch Up: After thoroughly researching the best of the decade polls and methodically identifying what I missed, I resolve to use laser focus to drill down and fill those gaps. That lasts about a week, and then I get distracted by who else, Brian fucking Eno.
Frank Ocean: Channel Orange (2012) This one appeared at or near the top of just about every decade poll I found. Frank Ocean is first and foremost a songwriter. And he’s real good at it. He’s written many for other people, and here he’s out on his own. So this is not an assemblage of songs acquired from other people. It’s his vision. He can also sing and produce, so this is his show all the way. And it’s quite the show. Surprisingly melodic. Surprisingly affluent - a lot of this is about young wealthy people living in California at the beach. There are love songs here, but they’re not just plopped in for the sake of having hits. They’re about people living in this milieu (no, I don’t fucking believe I used that word, either) he’s describing. And the musical background is practically Eno-worthy. A- "Super Rich Kids" Beyonce: Lemonade (2016) Another one consistently atop or near the top of just about every decade end poll I found. This record is surprisingly rocking. And at the same time surprisingly varied in tone (Christ, there’s a country song here), dynamics and volume. I was bracing myself for a histrionic lesson in empowerment from a very powerful diva. The lesson would be correct but it wouldn’t be coming from the right source, and that kind of thing is exhausting. But, by starting quietly and slowly picking up the pace, adding real feeling, this superstar earns my respect (which I assume she was losing sleep over). I guess celebrities have feelings, too. I’m not sitting up at attention all the way through, like with Janelle Monae or Rihanna, but what slips past me seems pleasant enough. And there’s at least one moment that brings a tear to my eye. So, diva or not, it’s not histrionic at all. Pretty damned controlled, in fact. B+
"All Night" Fucking Eno:
Fripp & Eno: (No Pussyfooting) (1973) If allmusic.com is accurate this is Eno’s first record without Roxy Music and, god bless him, he goes hardcore experimental by laying down some drone music that the guitarist from King Crimson Robert Fripp solos over. And. It’s. Not. Bad. At. All. Even pretty every once in a while. But I am occasionally asked by a family member what the hell we're listening to, but that's the effect I'm going for. Oblique Music tells the almost too good to be true story of BBC accidentally playing the tape of the album backward, and when Eno calls to tell them, they say “That’s what they all say”. This deluxe edition includes a backward version, All I can say is it was an honest mistake. B+ "The Heavenly Music Corporation I" Devo: Are We Not Men? No, We are Devo! (1978) The other funny Eno story is about how this radically arty band somehow hooked up with him to produce their first album. It’s hard to remember that back then Eno’s producing attempts were anything but sure things. He even tried to work with Television but that ended real fast. His No New York hard-core punk compilation was widely panned by the artists who were involved. And this love fest. Devo had already been honing their craft and alienating mid-Western audiences for years, so they knew what they wanted. And it sure wasn’t Eno’s kinder, gentler approach. At one point they’re listening to the playback of one of the songs and the band thinks they see Eno turning a know to add something to the mix, and they’re all over him. Hey, what do you think you’re doing making our record sound nice!!??? One wonders now - even Devo - what a real Eno-centric album would have sounded like. But I don’t think he’s returning their calls. But it was an excuse to finally get this record and find out just how weird it really is. And now, with the benefit of forty-odd years, it sounds more consistent and catchy than you’d think. You'll seem like nice folks so I'll give you the hit here. B+
"Satisfaction" But if you really want to know how disturbing these guys were here are just check out some of their early videos Let's start with a relatively benign collaboration with...Neil Young!? “Human Highway” To a warped early version of "My My, Hey Hey": “Hey Hey” To the truly disturbing "Jocko Homo":

Enjoy your Sunday!

Next time, 2019!, or 1812, I'm not sure.

No comments: