Sunday, November 29, 2009

Decade: 2007 - Highway '07 Revisited

Since I’ve already done a roundup of 2007 and 2008, I’m just going to give them a quick once over to see if I’ve changed my mind about anything. (Have I ever?)


Here's the original post for 2007.

There’s not much to add, except to say that Neko Case, while not outdoing the Go Betweens, did outlast them. While it clear from the start that “Oceans Apart” was great, “Fox Confessor Brings the Flood” hung back and slowly took over. Once it kicked in, we played it for weeks straight. It’s definitely one of the best of that year, and of the decade, too.


The other Go Betweens record – “Spring Hill Fair” - turned out to be pretty good, but not great. Sometimes the GBs –at least the Robert Forster part - are all elbows. It’s on “Oceans Apart” that they grow wings.


So the revised “Great List” stands as:

The Go Betweens – “Oceans Apart”

Neko Case – “Fox Confessor Brings the Flood”

PJ Harvey – “Stories of the City, Stories of the Sea”


And the “Really Goods” now are:

Nick Drake – Pink Moon

John Mayall’s Bluesbreakers, Featuring Eric Clapton

Thelonious Monk – “Solo Monk”


The remainder of that year’s music more or less stays where it was in my original estimation, although some records will continue to swim around inside my brain, only to surface years from now, at the oddest times.


If I’m lucky.

No comments: