Sunday, March 4, 2012

R.I.P. Davey Jones

I prefer to not repeat myself, but the death of Davey Jones's death warrants it.

Suffice to say that the Monkees had a huge impact on my childhood, and the music turned out to be far more durable that I ever would have thought.

This was brought home to me over the summer, when I was lucky enough to see them play one last time. Putting aside the fact that I was surrounded by a bunch of old people, it was a wonderful show, and I had a great time.

So I'll simply pay homage to the Monkees, and Davey in particular, by repeating an earlier post and pointing you to what I think are Davey's best performances with them.

First, an obvious one:
"A Little Bit Me, A Little Bit You"

Then a Neil Diamond song to which Davey unexpectedly brings the necessary testicular fortitude:
"Look Out Here Comes Tomorrow"

And my personal favorite, something that's sweet, but not sickly so:
"When Love Comes Knocking at Your Door"

RIP Davey.   For a while there, along with the Beatles, you made us all wish we were British.

No comments: